Naturopathic doctors use unique lab tests to help us get a picture of what’s going on inside your body at a molecular level. No CSI type tests here. We can provide the standard tests that most medical doctors do, but to get a clearer picture on your health, we also offer tests that most other health care providers don’t- which is great for you! These tests tend to very helpful in figuring out what’s at the root cause of your illness and coming up with a diagnosis and treatment plan!
Is lab testing for me?
Lab testing can be a very effective way to understand what’s happening with your health! Some tests are used to diagnose disease or illness, and other are used to monitor how well your body is responding to treatment!
Which tests we order, if any, will depend on your specific symptoms and our best clinical judgment. We only order tests that we deem necessary to help you reach your health goals as quickly and safely as possible.
Standard blood tests
We can order the same standard blood tests that you get at your medical doctor’s office, and these tests are often a great first step in assessing your general level of health and where any problems might be. They’re usually less expensive than some of the more focused tests, and can guide the direction we take your treatment in.
Some of the more common tests we order include:
- CBC – complete blood count. Lets us know how many red and white blood cells you have, and can point to things like anemia or infection.
- TSH – thyroid stimulating hormone. Lets us get an idea of how well your thyroid is working. High numbers indicate a sluggish thyroid, while low numbers indicate an overactive one.
- Ferritin – helps us assess your iron levels. Very low levels of ferritin indicate anemia.
- FBG & HgA1c – fasting blood glucose and hemoglobin A1c. These are markers of metabolic syndrome and diabetes.
- Lipid panel – this includes serum triglycerides and cholesterol levels (HDL and LDL). Low levels of HDL and high levels of LDL are a risk factor for heart disease.
- Food Sensitivity Testing- Many people have food sensitivities and finding the culprit(s) can be challenging. Headaches, depression, pain, skin issues, and many other conditions can all be caused by sensitivities to foods. This test is a done through a blood sample and quickly tests your levels of IgG antibodies to up to 200 foods that include meats, fruits, vegetables, and nuts. Finding out your food sensitivities always makes our patients feel educated about their health.
Testing for Heavy Metals
Heavy metal toxicity can contribute to hormone dysfunction, autoimmune conditions, and neurological disorders. If you know you’ve had a previous exposure to lead, mercury, or other toxic metals, a test is a good idea for you. Urine tests are more effective at measuring metal levels than hair analysis.
If you have mood swings or hot flashes, infertility or acne, a hormone test might help provide the answers you’re looking for. Fatigue and depression are often affected by hormone levels as well. Some of the common hormones that we test for include estrogen, progesterone, DHEA, cortisol, and testosterone, and the tests are done using saliva samples.
For patients with depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, ADHD, and other conditions that involve the brain or mood, neurotransmitter testing can be a helpful step in identifying which neurotransmitters are out of balance and need to be targeted through supplementation and/or herbal support. We test for levels of serotonin, dopamine, GABA, epinephrine and norepinephrine, and glutamate, all of which help regulate your mood, focus, energy levels, sleep, and ability to respond to stressful situations.
Lab testing can be ordered as early as your first visit; the quicker we have test results the quicker we can get you on your way to seeing health results!
Find out what our lab testing can do you for! Call and book an appointment with us.